Announcement – April 2023
2023 Local producer scholarship applications are due by May 31, 2023. Funding decisions will be made by the Cook County Co-op by June 30, 2023.
Preference will be given to agricultural and value-added food producers whose mission, values, and practices:
– have a demonstrated need and plan for the implementation of the grant
– enhance the local food system
– work cooperatively with or purchase directly from other local farmers, producers, or businesses
About the Scholarship
The Local Producers Scholarship is an annual giving initiative created by the Cook County Co-op to support local growers and producers in Cook County, MN. Past recipients include: Creaking Tree Farm, Enchanted Acres, Good Nature Farm, Ghost Hill Homestead, the Wilson’s Farm, Caribou Cream, Scent from Nature, Crosby Bakery, and others!
Scholarships range from $500-$750 and may be awarded to five to six producers.
Use & Eligibility Requirements
Funds should be used for (but are not limited to):
- establish or improve land or operating space
- buy necessary equipment or supplies
- pay for education related to sustainable production
- Reside in and have a farm or food-related production business located in Cook County
- Have not received a local producer’s scholarship in the previous year
- Have been established in their current business for at least six months prior to applying
- Are not a staff or board member at the Cook County Co-op
1 – Submit your 2023 Local producer scholarship application
2 – Include a written one-page, single-spaced description that includes:
– your commitment to sustainable food production
– what the funds will be used for
– expected benefits (specifically who will be served and why it’s important)
3 – Agree to send the Cook County Co-op an image and a 500-word written statement of your success as a result of the scholarship by August 31, 2023.